Detroit Catholic Central High School has an uncompromising commitment to a safe environment for all of students. Some of these safe environment elements are:
- The Basilian Fathers were one of the first religious congregations in Canada or the US to be accredited by “Praesidium”, a third party, independent safe environment auditing organization. They have made site visitations of all Basilian schools, have interviewed Administrators about safe environment procedures and policies. All Basilians have attended safe environment seminars.
- All Catholic Central employees have passed criminal background checks.
- All Catholic Central employees have attended “Protecting God’s Children” workshops as mandated by the United States Bishops Dallas Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People.
- All Freshmen and Sophomores are required to take “Called to Protect” and “Called to Serve”, to qualify them for ministry and community service. The program empowers them to speak up and to ensure that their boundaries are respected.
- Our school was constructed according to safe environment protocols, e.g. windows in doors, photo-cells to turn on lights in classrooms and other areas, staff and adult visitor restrooms, distinct from student restrooms, in addition, visitors and vendors to the school must be buzzed in, register and wear visitor identification.
- Students have access to “Sprigeo” an anonymous reporting service.
- Our faculty and staff, working together with our Counseling Department, report on students who are exhibiting symptomatic behaviors of distress.
- Faculty and staff review the Michigan standards obligating faculty and counselors as mandatory reporters of suspected child abuse on a regular basis.
- Adequate numbers of supervisory staff are assigned for school trips.
- Yearly, the Dean of Students presents the elements of digital citizenship to our student body as well as our own policies and procedures concerning Cyber Safety and Morality.
This list is not the totality of all the elements put into place, but rather some of the policies, procedures and actions that Catholic Central and the Basilian Fathers have put into place and embraced in order to maintain transparency and a safe learning environment for your son.
Several times a year when the Basilian General Council meets, the rest of the community is asked to dedicate a day to prayer and fasting for all victims of abuse.
In addition to the policies as stated on our Catholic Central website, you may also wish to consult the policies and procedures of Protecting our Children and Youth
for the Archdiocese of Detroit as well as a summary of the policies of the Basilian Fathers.
Let us always remember that our faith is in God alone: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. As human beings, whether we are priests, parents, single people, brothers or sisters, we are sinners who need constantly to refocus our attention on Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. May the entire CC community continue to invoke the patronage and protection Mary Alma Mater, that her Son may continue to make our school community place one of abundant blessings for your sons and all of us.