Catholic Central High School Custodian / Janitor
Job Title: Custodian / Janitor
Location: Catholic Central High School – 27225 Wixom Road, Novi, Michigan 48374
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Transportation Classification: Non Exempt
Pay: Highly Competitive
Benefits: Health Insurance, Paid Vacation and Holidays, Pension, 403(b) and more Schedule: Evening Shift During The School Year, Day Shift During The Summer
Custodians are responsible for the cleanliness and safety of all school facilities and grounds. Their mission is to maintain the schools physical facilities in a condition of cleanliness and safety.
· Clean and sanitize all rooms (classrooms, restrooms, gyms, etc.) using established practices and procedures.
· Clean, dust and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers.
· Assist with the setup/cleanup of facilities for meetings, classrooms and events. Facilitate event activities for school and ancillary groups.
· Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
· Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, pressure washers, snow shovels, buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
· Wash walls and equipment; climb and balance on ladders up to 12 feet tall when required in work assignments.
· Lock and unlock assigned buildings; secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized occupants; turn off lights.
· Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
· Shovel building entrance walkways, as needed, during snow storms.
· Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
· Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds.
· Support and enforce all school policies and rules, safety regulations and guidelines.
· Attend to emergencies when necessary.
· Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
· Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, First Aid, CPR, and working relationships.
· Assist in the instruction and supervision of summer student workers.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
· Practical maintenance - custodial experience.
· Ability to work independently. Must be available for emergency call-in.
· Proven time management skills and ability to consistently meet deadlines. Must be punctual.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships.
· Strong communications skills (written and verbal); able to communicate information clearly and in a timely fashion.
· Completed or willing to complete Archdiocese of Detroit’s Protecting God’s Children course.
· Must submit to drug testing, fingerprinting and criminal background check.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach about the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
The employee must be able to climb and balance on ladders up to 12 feet tall to perform cleaning tasks. Employee must be able to operate and navigate lifts with working platform heights up to 26 feet.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 100 pounds such as equipment and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
Complete a Non-Teaching Application found on the Detroit Catholic Central High School website at https://www.catholiccentral.net/more/careers. Email the completed application, your resume, and a cover letter to HR@catholiccentral.net.