Most private institutions have sprung from rather humble beginnings. Catholic Central is no exception.
Catholic Central is no exception. In May, 1928, Monsignor Van Antwerp, the Vicar-General of the Diocese of Detroit and pastor of Holy Rosary Church on Woodward Avenue, made known his plan to convert his parochial high school on Harper Avenue near Woodward into a boys high school. He requested the Basilian Fathers to take over the management of the school and to staff it. When the bell sounded for the first class in early September, 1928, there were 260 students at their desks ready to begin the school year.
Although Holy Rosary school no longer exists, the Church where Catholic Central had its beginnings still stands proudly on Woodward Avenue. Atop this Church is a remarkable statue of Our Lady. Mary has been and continues to be the principal patron of Catholic Central. Such patronage, perhaps stronger than it has ever been, can be traced back to Catholic Central's earliest days when it was located in the parish church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary.