Job Title: Maintenance 1 Staff
Location: Catholic Central High School, 27225 Wixom Road, Novi, MI 48374
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Transportation
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Base Hours: Monday -Friday 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.; Additional nights/weekends are required as needed
Pay: Based on experience
Start Date: Immediate
Catholic Central currently has a full-time opening for a highly organized, motivated and dependable Maintenance 1 Staff person. Catholic Central is a 200,000 sq. ft. educational facility on a 113 acre campus located in Novi, Michigan.
Essential Job Functions:
Maintenance 1 Staff are responsible for the maintenance, repair and safety of all school facilities, grounds and equipment and event set-up as required. Their mission is to maintain the schools’ physical facilities in a condition of cleanliness and safety.
- Perform minor/major repairs in plumbing, electrical, HVAC, grounds and carpentry areas.
- Operate snow removing equipment such as pick-up trucks with plow, John Deere Gators with plow and snow blowers (must be available for overtime as required).
- Operate and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, pressure washers, buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Accurately order and account for material and labor relative to position.
- Read and interpret blue prints, general safety/operating instructions, electrical schematics, etc.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings; secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized occupants; turn off lights.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Assist with the cleaning and setup of facilities for meetings and events. Facilitate event activities for school and ancillary groups (must be available for overtime as required).
- Maintain all safety and code requirements of the Federal, State and local municipalities; support and enforce all school policies and rules, safety regulations and guidelines.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Give instructions to staff when the Director is not available.
- Attend to emergencies when necessary.
- Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or Administration.
The employee must have sufficient strength, ability and dexterity to perform required duties. While performing such duties, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach about the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must have ability to work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and inclement conditions.
The employee must be able to climb and balance on ladders up to 16 feet tall to perform maintenance tasks. Employee must be able to operate and navigate lifts with working platform heights up to 26 feet.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 100 pounds such as equipment and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in building maintenance required.
- Experience in a private or public school preferred.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required.
- Possess and maintain a valid State vehicle operator’s license; a good driving record is required; CDL is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance methods, procedures, practices, tools and equipment.
- Ability to plan and execute preventative maintenance measures.
- Previous experience with School Dude and Johnson Controls Facilities Explorer preferred.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently and under minimum supervision.
- Proven problem solving and time management skills; ability to consistently meet deadlines and be punctual.
- Strong communications skills (written and verbal); able to communicate information clearly and in a timely fashion; able to use email.
- Must be available for emergency call-ins; able to work nights and weekends, when needed, to handle building emergencies, snow removal and school building events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with administration, peers, staff, teachers and parents.
- Completed or willing to complete Archdiocese of Detroit’s Protecting God’s Children course.
- Must submit to drug testing, fingerprinting and criminal background check.
How to Apply:
Send application, resume, and cover letter, including salary requirements, to:
Marie Heshczuk, HR Manager
Detroit Catholic Central High School
27225 Wixom Road
Novi, MI 48374
Or e-mail above documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org